Terms of Trade
Here at OTANA FLOORING, we are proud to represent high-quality products, service and delivery in the flooring industry. Our terms of trade are carried through every step of the process from quotation to final delivery.
Upon acceptance of these terms and conditions by the client the terms of trade are unchangeable
and can only be repealed by written consent from OTANA FLOORING.
Please note there might be important site-specific issues that may affect the outcome of any timber flooring projects. OTANA FLOORING strongly recommends a basic understanding of these issues, which can assist in developing a realistic expectation of the final outcome.
Please note once a client has made the deposit, OTANA FLOORING team will commence ordering the right products and supplies for the job from the sellers and manufacturers. Therefore, any instructions received by the Seller from the Customer for the supply of Services shall constitute acceptance of the terms and conditions contained herein.
Agreed Scope of Works and Cost
• The client must acknowledge in all cases, OTANA FLOORING has explained the work process; specific issues discussed realistic expectations and agrees that the scope of work is clearly understood.
• Beside agreed scope of work, any other possible job is a variation to the original load and will be charged as an extra work accordingly.
Agreed Uncontrollable Variations
• OTANA FLOORING will not be held liable for other tradesmen’s workmanship e.g. paint flakes, tiler’s spills, plaster dust in cracks, denting from ladders and other tools, silicon, work boot, scuff marks and etc.
• Any oil or silicone-based products include air fresheners and aerosol sprays applied on the floor will cause rejection of subsequent floor coatings.
• OTANA FLOORING may not be able to remove deep cuts and gouges, depending on how deep the cut or gouge is.
• OTANA FLOORING may not be able to remove stains from within the floorboards such as animal urine and water marks and residue from glue and the backing of carpet underlay.
• Stairs and cupboards must be requested & quoted separately. Please note depending on timber species, the stairs may not match the rest of the flooring.
• Floor coatings are not applied in a spray booth; therefore there will always be dust particles in the finished floor.
• While applying the final coat, we take precautions to limit any dust on the floor. Dust will be more noticeable on darker timber, gloss and semi-gloss finishes, doorways, large windows and areas affected by direct sunlight.
• Please do not expect the coating to look like a sheet of glass; there will be areas where the coating runs into dips, cracks and holes.
• Please note any swirl or cobweb effect on the floor is caused by distorted reflection on the floor from lighting.
• Some low-cost solvent-borne polyurethane coatings are highly subject to sheen variation, rejections, roller marks and quite static in nature; which may cause undesirable traces of dust accumulated on the wet coatings and might affect the finished floor. We recommend the use of modified oil or premium water-based polyurethane coating if this is a concern. By choosing the low-cost solvent-borne polyurethane coating, you agree to accept all risks of using the mentioned floor finishing.
• Some finishes, mainly polyurethane’s may have a gluing effect on the timber and could cause timber defects. The application of these finishes is at the client’s risk.
Dry and Cure Process
• Regardless of what brand for coating material has been applied to the floor, each coat will take up to 24 hours to dry. Depending on the season, temperature, humidity of the location and drying conditions.
• OTANA FLOORING does not accept responsibility for coatings that do not dry or cure accordingly.
• OTANA FLOORING does not accept responsibility for any unevenly dried coating layers and other possible deficiencies such as defects, blemishes, faults and flaws.
• OTANA FLOORING does not accept responsibility for inadequate drying conditions such as temperature, airflow, humidity and etc. Unfortunately, OTANA FLOORING does not control the weather.
Sand and polish Process
• Before out sanding team starts on the job, it is clients responsibility to ensure all furniture and other tradesman equipment have been fully removed from rooms. This can facilitate an efficient installation, which can meet the client’s expectation.
• We always endeavour to provide the best possible service with the conditions given to work with, work in and workaround. Please note, if other tradesmen are working on or around the property, we are not liable for the final outcome.
• Although high attention will be exercised by OTANA FLOORING installation team, due to the nature of machinery work, decoration and skirting may be liable to marking. OTANA FLOORING will not be held responsible for marking of walls, skirting and similar objects, and will not be held responsible for the cost of redecoration.
• Sand and polish of timber floor is a skill-required process. Please note, as all machinery is done by hand-controlled devices and applicators; therefore there will be signs of the process on the floor; which overtime will be representing part of your interior’s characteristic. As we believe this is part of the beauty of owning timber flooring.
• OTANA FLOORING does not guarantee a complete dust-free space and finishes on the floor. Such expectation is not achievable unless your timber floor is oven-dried (i.e. laminate, previously done, redone finished floors). Dust-free finishing is unattainable for all domestic and commercial projects.
Floor Fill Process
• We will punch nails and fill nail holes and gaps at the end of floorboards with an appropriate filler.
• We do not fill gaps between floorboards, as, due the natural atmospheric moisture variations, movement of timber filler will ultimately fail at any time and will look unsightly.
• Any holes larger than a nail hole may have a sunken appearance when filled.
• We do not guarantee a filler colour match and we are limited to light, mid and dark brown.
Floor Colouring/Staining Process
• Floor Colouring/Staining is not included in the standard sand & polish process.
• Additional charges will apply for the staining process.
• All colour samples are for presentation purposes and may be different from the final outcome.
• If different timber species are supplied, no responsibility will be taken in regards to the possible difference of finished colour due to inconsistency of timber.
• Once the colour has been agreed either verbally or written; any changes will be charged as extra work accordingly.
• It is the clients’ responsibility to check and assure colour at the time of application since RE-colouring will be charged as a full job rate.
• Most likely there will be some variation in colour and grain between new and old floorboards also staining can produce a two-tone effect.
• Due to the nature of the staining technique, skirting and similar objects may be marked and OTANA FLOORING will not be held liable for re-decoration.
Floor Coatings & Maintenance
• Three layers of sealant coating are standard; unless specified or agreed. Additional coatings will be charged as extra work accordingly.
• Coating longevity depends on traffic conditions and maintenance imposed by the client.
• OTANA FLOORING reserves the right to change job specification as necessary to provide the most appropriate finishing.
• All materials, finishes or applications are directly guaranteed to the customer by manufacturers’ warranty on their stated terms; therefore OTANA FLOORING is not a party to this warranty.
• OTANA FLOORING will not be held responsible for any damages caused by wear & tear.
Default & Consequences of Default
At OTANA FLOORING ‘s sole discretion:
• The Price shall be as indicated on invoices provided by OTANA FLOORING to the client in respect of Goods and Services supplied.
• The Price of the Goods shall be OTANA FLOORING’s quoted price, which shall be binding upon the client accepted it either verbally, in writing or as per any other conditions specified in these terms and conditions within 28 days.
• OTANA FLOORING may be giving notice to the client at any time up to 7 days prior delivery to may increase the price of the Goods in reflect of any changes in cost to OTANA FLOORING due to factors occurring after making the sale agreement; which are beyond reasonable control of OTANA FLOORING (including, without limitation, foreign exchange fluctuations, taxes and duties and the cost of labour, materials and other manufacturing costs).
• At OTANA FLOORING sole discretion, a deposit may be required on the confirmation of an order or acceptance of the quotation.
• Unless specified or agreed otherwise the deposit amount shall be 30% -50% of the total price.
• Time for payment for the Goods and Services shall be of the essence and will be stated on the invoice, quotation or any other order forms. If no time is stated then payment shall be due upon completion of the work and/or delivery of the Goods and Services.
• The accepted method of payments is by cash, cheque, direct deposit and bank transfer or by any other method as agreed.
• Please note the final price shall be increased by the amount of any GST and other taxes and duties, which may be applicable, except to the extent that such taxes are expressly included in any quotation given by OTANA FLOORING.
• All costs incurred in the collection of overdue accounts are payable by the debtor.
• It is the client’s responsibility to be available on the final day of the project and also prior the final application being done on the floor. Therefore the job can be inspected and approved. Any questions and queries should be made or discussed at that point.
• In a case of stage-by-stage projects, payments will be due on completion of each stage